What are the benefits of Abhyanga (Ayurvedic Oil Massage)?
Abhyanga is a gentle, full body cleansing massage that involves touch, warm oils and herbs to improve the overall wellbeing of a person. Utilizing techniques based on traditional Ayurvedic principles of the Doshas – Vata, Pitta, Kapha – the massage therapist selects a natural oil specific to the current season and each person’s constitution.
Abhyanga Massage addresses imbalances within the body and works to bring a person’s Dosha back into its original state. The benefits of Abhyanga massage are enhanced with each session and is traditionally administered in sets of 3, 5 and 7 sessions, which can be done daily, weekly or monthly.
More benefits of Abhyanga massage include:
- Improvements to quality of sleep
- Balances the nervous system
- Eliminates toxins
- Increases energy
- Boosts the immune system
- Tones skin and lowers blood pressure
- Slows down the aging process by regenerating tissue
- Reduces joint pain and increases flexibility
- Relaxes muscles
- Cleansing for the lymphatic system
- Reduces fatty tissues
- Enhances fertility
- Nourishes the mind
- Builds strength and promotes creativity
- Eases stress-related problems
Different durations are possible: